Thursday, May 29, 2014

Manifesto (I Hate Writing Poetry)

I hate writing poetry
            Because once I’m finished with one poem             
I want to write another
            And I really shouldn’t

I hate writing poetry
            Not because I think it’s bad
But because I know it’s bad
            And no one can tell me otherwise

I hate writing poetry
            Because sometimes you have to read it
In front of other people
            And they don’t like it either

I hate writing poetry
            Because I feel proud of it for a minute
Then I remember that it’s bad
            It smells dead, like a rotting carcass

I hate writing poetry…
Every time I try to sound profound
I sound like I’ve copied the works of the greats
            Every time I try to just write
It sounds like I don’t care

The truth is I don’t hate writing poetry
            I hate trying to sound like I’m someone I’m not
I hate repeating myself for dramatic effect
            Maybe if I say this phrase three more times I’ll get a good grade
No one writes for fun; it’s always for English class; some people try, but
            Others don’t care at all

Why don’t people just care?
            Not care about the assignment, but about exploring something new
Learn something from poetry
            I am so sick of people not caring about anything but themselves
Which is saying something because
I’m the most selfish person I know

            And if I’m selfish, I’d like to be selfish
I am so tired of trying to be something else
            I just want to write a poem or a manifesto or something
I want it to mean something to me and no one else
            I just want it to write itself or maybe flow out like water from a tap
I want it to be for me and only me
            I don’t want people to tell me what I mean by this line
I want it to mean what I say it does

I’m not writing this for a grade or for someone else
            This is only for me, and I need to remind myself of that
But you’re expected to be concerned about other people and help them
            But what if I don’t want to?

I hate writing poetry
            Because now that this one is over
I want to write more

            And I’m going to

5 comments:

  1. Kori, I meant what I said--I hope you'll go on writing poetry forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. Such an important reminder of what is important. Have you seen Ira Glass in this video series where he talks about improving as a storyteller through practice? I think you'd like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loxJ3FtCJJA

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a video that is more relevant: https://vimeo.com/24715531

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really awesome! Thanks, Mr. Schonfeld! I really liked what he had to say.

      Delete